Log in to your Sonnet account
You’ll need to allow access to a few things on your phone so the Sonnet Insurance app can track your trips. But don’t worry, it’s easy to set up these permissions when you’re setting up your account. We’ll prompt you the whole way through the setup process!
If you’re an iOS user:
- Location Services must be set to Always Allow with Precise Location turned on. You must also Always Allow the app to use your location in the background, even when you are not using the app. To check your settings, go to Phone Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services.
- Motion & Fitness must be set to ON. To check your settings, go to Phone Settings > Privacy & Security > Motion & Fitness
If you’re an Android user:
- Location Services must be set to Allow all the time with Use precise location turned on. To check your settings, go to Phone Settings > Apps & notifications > Sonnet Insurance > Permissions > Location.
- Physical Activity must be set to ON. To check your settings, go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Sonnet Insurance > Permissions > Physical Activity.
App Power Management or Battery Optimizationmust be set to Allow the app to run in the background. To check your settings, go to Phone Settings > Apps > Sonnet Insurance > Battery > Select ‘Unrestricted’.
You’ll need to leave these permissions on when participating in the Sonnet Shift program.
Need help downloading and setting up the Sonnet Insurance app?
If you use an Android device, your phone settings must be set to allow the app to always run in the background for the Sonnet Shift app to work. Don’t worry, this will have minimal impact on your battery while you’re not in motion. If you see a prompt to optimize battery for better battery life, depending on your device you’ll want to make sure you select ‘Don’t optimize/stop optimizing battery usage/ensure Battery optimization is off’.
For Samsung owners:
The App Power Management or Battery Optimization must be set to Allow app to run in the background. To check your settings, go to Phone Settings > Apps > Sonnet Insurance > Battery > Select ‘Unrestricted’.
For Google Pixel owners:
The App Power Management or Battery Optimization must be set to Allow app to run in the background. To check your settings, go to Phone Settings > Apps > Sonnet Insurance > Battery > Battery Usage > Select ‘Unrestricted’.
Heads up! There’s no need to set anything for battery optimization if you’re using an iOS device. If you don’t see the steps for your specific Android device, you can
We’ve tried to make this part of your move as easy as we can! You can update your location by using our Move Tool. Simply log in to your account, scroll to the bottom of your home page and click on “Moving”. Follow the steps on your account and you’re done! Your documents will be updated once you have completed the change.
We’ll calculate your coverage based on the factors of your new location. This might change the coverages that are offered and you might see an increase or decrease in your premium. Be sure to review any changes in price and coverage carefully. These will be highlighted during the move process.
It’s important that your Sonnet account is linked to an email address that belongs to you and is checked frequently. This is because any updates about your account will be sent to this email. You’ll also need this email address in order to log in to your account.
If you’ve forgotten which email address is associated with your account, double check your inbox for any emails from Sonnet. You can also try requesting a
If you’re still unsure of your email address,
Need to change your email? You can
If you get a new smartphone, you’ll need to re-download the app onto your new device, log in with your credentials, and go through the
To remain enrolled in Sonnet Shift, we have to be able to track your trips! If your smartphone is damaged or unusable, it’s important to get it fixed or get a new one as soon as possible if you need to.
Be sure to check your junk or spam folder first, just in case the email was directed there. If there’s still no sign of it, there are a couple possible reasons for this:
If you have a Sonnet policy, your account may be attached to another email address or there may be a misspelling. Instructions to reset your password will only be sent when the email address entered matches the email address on your account exactly. If you’re
If you don’t have a Sonnet policy, this will also mean you don’t have a Sonnet account – at least not yet! This is also why a password reset email wasn’t received. During purchasing, you will be invited to set up your Sonnet account.
If you’re looking to access a saved quote, you’ll want to look out for a confirmation email with a link back to your quote. If this email is missing in action, we can help with
If you have any questions about the Sonnet Shift program, or any technical questions about the app, we can help.
You might be able to find the answer to your question in our
What is a trip?
With Sonnet Shift, every time you drive over 800m from point A to point B you take what we call a “trip”! Once you’ve downloaded and set up the Sonnet Insurance app, it will start tracking and collecting data during each trip you take –
When a trip is over, we’ll use that trip’s data to calculate a
Viewing your trips in the Sonnet Insurance app
We’re not the only ones who have access to your trip data – you do, too! The Sonnet Insurance app lets you view the precise details of individual trips, including a map of your route and a breakdown of how safely you drove on your trips. This means that each trip is a new opportunity to learn how you can improve your driving habits – and save even more on your car insurance.
Here's how to see your trips:
- Click on the Sonnet Shift section in the app.
- Select the Trips tab.
- Once the Trips tab is open, all the trips you’ve taken within the last 90 days will appear, along with the Driving Score for each trip where you were the driver.
- Click any trip’s score to display the map of your trip as well as the Driving Score breakdown for things like Smooth Driving and Speed.
Here’s what each colour means in your breakdown:
Green score: You’re doing great! We’ll let you know what you’re doing right, and how you can go the extra mile to keep up the good work.
Yellow score: You could be doing better, and we want to help. Read our suggestions to improve your driving so you can earn a discount.
Red score: If you’re in the red, improvement is needed (and you could see a surcharge on your premium!). Follow the tips to get back up to green.
Heads up! Trips taken where you weren’t the driver will appear “greyed out”. You can see when the other driver took the trip and how long it was, but you can’t view their maps or score breakdowns. You’re only able to expand and view the details and score breakdown for your own trips.
As an extra layer of security, we use two-step verification every time you log into the Sonnet Insurance app on your smartphone. Here’s how it works (yes, in just two steps!):
- After you enter your email and password to log in to the Sonnet Insurance app, we’ll send a one-time six-digit security key via text or phone call (depending on the preference you selected) to the phone number associated with your Sonnet account.
- Once you have the key, enter it in the field provided. That’s it! You’re logged in and ready to use the app.
- If you didn’t receive a text message, make sure the phone number you use for your Sonnet account is the one associated with your smartphone.
- Entered the wrong security key? Just click Resend to request a new security key.
- If you’ve entered the incorrect security too many times, the app will lock you out – but don’t worry, it’s only temporary! Wait 10 minutes and try again.
Still need help with two-step verification?
No! The data we collect will not be used to cancel your policy, or to refuse to renew your policy.