Protect your rental property with landlord insurance

Get house insurance for your rental property quickly and easily.

Sonnet has the coverage landlords need

Is the home you live in already insured with us? If you also have an income property, make sure your investment is fully protected with rental property insurance. Landlords across Canada, in B.C., Alberta, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia or P.E.I. can buy insurance online with Sonnet in just 5 minutes. Get customized coverage, in language you can understand, at a competitive price – and do it all online. With Sonnet you can buy and access your landlord insurance online, so you can live your life without worrying about your rental property.

Why do you need landlord insurance?

A rental property owner should always be prepared for the unexpected. Landlord insurance will help you repair or rebuild if your rented dwelling is damaged by wind, fire or another covered loss. It’ll also help you with rental income if your tenants can’t live in your rented home during repairs. If you have a mortgage, they might require you to have insurance for your rental home, too.

What does landlord insurance cover?

Owning a rental property is a big responsibility, and with it comes a whole new set of risks. Here’s a summary of standard coverages in a landlord insurance policy that will help protect you and your rented home, and a few optional add-ons for extra peace of mind. Remember, every landlord has unique needs. Be sure to review your policy to understand what you’re covered for and what you’re not. 

Standard landlord insurance coverages

Liability Insurance

This coverage protects you in case you’re sued. You’re covered by landlord liability if a visitor is injured on your property and you’re found legally responsible, or if you cause unintentional damage to another person’s property.

Rented Dwelling and Detached Structures

If something happens to your rental home, we’ll pay to repair or rebuild it. And, we do the same for detached structures like your garage, garden shed or fence.

Landlord's Belongings

Protect items you own that you keep at your rented home – like landscaping equipment, maintenance equipment and household appliances or furnishings.

Loss of Rental Income

If your tenants can’t live in your rented home because of an insured loss or damage, we’ll replace your rental income until your property is repaired or rebuilt, for up to a year.

Additional landlord insurance coverages

Sewer Backup

This coverage can help in some smelly situations. If water backs up or escapes into your home through a sewer, sump, septic tank, or floor drain, this will cover you for the damage caused. Coverage offered depends on eligibility.

Overland Water

You’re covered for damage to your home caused by fresh water, such as excessive rain, spring run-off and melting snow, coming in at ground level through windows and doors. Coverage offered depends on eligibility.

Why buy landlord insurance with Sonnet?


Log in anytime to manage your account, access your policy, update your coverages and more.

Express claims

On top of our 24/7 claims support, you have the option of an express claim for small losses.

Customer satisfaction

Online doesn’t have to mean on-your-own. Our licensed Insurance Advisors are here to help. Email, chat or call our fully-licensed agents and experience our top-quality customer care for yourself.

Save on more than just insurance

Get access to helpful information and a suite of services to simplify your life from our Sonnet Connect partners. Plus, take advantage of great discounts, promotions and free offers.

How much does landlord insurance cost in Canada?

$1,325/year is the median cost of landlord insurance with Sonnet in Canada. Get landlord insurance for a year for less than what a family of four would spend on a long weekend ski trip.

How it’s calculated
The cost of landlord insurance is based on your unique info and the type of property you’re renting out. Insurers will look at things like the coverage you have, the building type, the location of the property and your claims history.

How can I save on my landlord insurance?

At Sonnet, we combine your unique information with a whole lot of math and analytics to build our best price just for you – savings automatically included. Here are a few ways you could save on your landlord insurance:

Claims free

No claims in the last 5 years? This could mean extra cash in your pocket.


Insuring more than one property could qualify you for a multi-location saving.

Bundle home and auto

Bundling your home and auto insurance could mean up to 20% savings for you.

How to get the best landlord insurance for your rental property

Not every rental property is the same, and not every landlord has the same needs. Here's how to make sure you have the very best policy for yours.

Step 1. Make sure you’re getting the right rental property insurance policy. The type of policy you need depends on the type of property you're renting out. Is it a unit in your own home? It could be covered by your homeowners policy. Is it a standalone property? You’ll probably need a separate landlord policy.

Step 2. Compare landlord insurance quotes. It's common to focus on cost and go for the plan with the best price. While price is important, you need to factor in coverage, claims, and customer service to make sure you're fully protected.

Step 3. Understand what's covered and what isn’t. Landlord insurance covers your building, contents you keep on the property. It also covers liability arising from ownership of your property, lost rental income and more. Your tenant’s stuff and their liability aren’t covered. We recommend that tenants carry their own renters policy.

Step 4. Consider adding optional coverages. Things like sewer backup and overland water are just as important for your rental as they are for your own home! Be proactive and protect your income property from serious water damage before it happens.

Step 5. Choose a high enough landlord liability limit. An accident on your rental property can result in very costly legal bills if you're sued as a result. We recommend having a minimum of $1 million liability coverage – but $2 million is ideal.

Have questions about your landlord coverage? Get in touch with us – we’re here to help.

Questions about landlord insurance? We’re here to help

Being a landlord isn’t easy. That’s why we’ve made it so simple to get a landlord insurance quote with Sonnet. Read through our current blogs or most frequently asked questions about landlord insurance to get started.

Does my homeowners insurance cover my rental property?

Well, it depends on your situation.

If you’re renting out a separate property from the home you live in, you’ll need home insurance for a rental property – commonly known as landlord insurance.

Heads up! You can only insure your rental property with us if your primary residence is also insured with Sonnet. We do not insure standalone rental properties.

What if you’re renting out a part of the home you live in? We’ll cover you under your personal home insurance policy if you’re renting rooms to no more than 2 roomers or boarders.

Or, you may rent out one additional unit (like a basement apartment) in your house, to no more than one household. A household can be a family, or it can be a couple or unmarried partners, over the age of majority, that co-habitate (but are not students). Keep in mind that Sonnet provides coverage for either one or the other of the above situations – but not both together.

Does your homeowners insurance for your personal home or your rental property cover tenants? No – they’ll have to get their own renters insurance.

No matter what, you should always review your policy wordings to make sure you’ve got the right insurance for your rental needs. Still have questions about rental home insurance? Get in touch with us – we’re happy to help!

I rent my home out from time to time. What kind of coverage should I get?

Well, it depends. If there are no more than two renters, you’re allowed to rent part of your house out under your Homeowners Policy. You’re also covered if you have one additional unit within your home that’s rented to one family only.

If you’re renting out a property separate from your home our Landlord Policy will make sure you’re covered if there’s any damage to items that belong to you and the property. Things like major appliances, fixtures or tools (a lawn mower or snow shovel are a couple of examples). If you live in your home, but you have more tenants than our Homeowners Policy allows for, you can purchase our Landlord Policy in addition, to cover you and your home adequately.

What do landlord’s belongings include?

Landlord belongings include your items that are kept in the property, such as furnishings. Even if you rent out your property as “unfurnished” this coverage is still required, as it includes landscaping equipment, maintenance equipment and household appliances (e.g. fridge, washer, oven).

Are my tenants covered by my landlord insurance?

Your landlord insurance doesn’t cover your tenants’ stuff. Renters need to buy their own tenant (or renters) policy to cover their clothes, furniture and everything else they own in case something happens. 

Although renters insurance isn’t required by law, it’s highly recommended. Why? Well, because it has benefits for both you as a landlord and your tenants. It provides peace of mind for tenants by repairing or replacing their things if they’re lost or damaged in a fire, flood or another covered event. If something happens to your rental property and your tenants can’t live in it, their renters policy will pay for a place for them to stay until they can move back in or find another place to live. And, it protects your rental property too, as renters liability will help cover costs if a tenant damages your property.

Looking to switch your landlord insurance?

Answer a few questions and we’ll calculate how much it could cost you to cancel and switch to Sonnet.

The 5 minutes to get insured is based on the average Sonnet customer experience.

Article source: The top 10 car insurance companies in Canada published 5 October 2020, Insurance Business Magazine,

The number of hours spent helping customers is based on total talk time over chat and phone from April 20, 2020 to December 31, 2020.

Sonnet is an official partner of the NHLPA. NHLPA, National Hockey League Players’ Association, the NHLPA logo is a registered trademark of the National Hockey League Players’ Association. © NHLPA. All Rights Reserved.

Bundling discount reflects the best possible savings a customer could receive by bundling their home and auto coverage. Depending on your quote details, you may not be eligible for a discount.

Possible savings of over $600 annually is based on survey responses of 10,586 customers who purchased an insurance policy with Sonnet Insurance Company between July 2020 and February 2021 in Ontario, Alberta and Quebec. 17% of survey respondents indicated that their monthly price with Sonnet was over $50 lower than what they were currently paying. Depending on your quote details, actual savings may vary.

Median annual premiums for landlord insurance in Canada are based on current Sonnet policies as of February 2024.