Protect your car with insurance for Ontario drivers
Buy car insurance online in 5 minutes.
Driving a car in Ontario? Make sure you’re covered
Are you a rush hour commuter in a suburb like Burlington? Do you travel the scenic roads of northern Ontario towns like Sudbury? Wherever you drive in Ontario, you need the best car insurance. From London to Waterloo, Newmarket to Peterborough, Sonnet has you covered with insurance for experienced or new drivers. Get customized coverage, in language you can understand, at a competitive price – and do it all online. We’ve changed car insurance in Ontario for the better, so your drive is worry-free.
Why do you need auto insurance?
In Ontario, if you own a vehicle, by law you must have auto insurance. Think of insurance as a future investment. The average cost of a car repair claim in Ontario is $8,611. Insurance will protect you from having to pay out of pocket. Plus, if you cause damage or injuries to other people while driving, you’ll be responsible for those costs too. Accidents happen, even to good drivers. Having the best auto insurance in Ontario means you’ll have financial help when they do.
University alumni in Orleans on average can get auto insurance that adds up to about the cost of your daily coffee habit each month.
The average person in Waterloo, can bundle their home and auto insurance for less than the average household spends monthly on dining out.
The cost of insuring an older vehicle in Newmarket is on average around half of a typical monthly grocery budget for two.
Engineering & accounting graduates in Ontario
Engineers and accountants can appreciate a well-designed solution. Use our online platform and claim your
It pays to be safe. Save even more when you put on winter tires from November to April – just make sure they have the three-peak mountain snowflake icon.
Canadian University Alumni
Get more from your degree.
Once you've purchased your auto policy, we’ll send you an email with a link to activate your Sonnet account. Your pink slip and proof of insurance will be accessible directly through your account dashboard. Here you can also get the steps to add your eSlip right to your phone’s digital wallet.
If you would like to download an eSlip, here are the steps to add it to your phone:
Currently eSlips are available for iOS users only. Android available soon.
- Download the
Sonnet Insurance appfrom the App Store (iOS) or Google Play store app (Android).
- Log in to your account in the app using the same email and password you set up for your Sonnet account.
- For first-time users, tap the ‘Get your eSlip’ banner over the ‘More’ tab. Agree to the terms and conditions for eSlips. Choose your vehicle (for single policies) or choose your policy then vehicle (for multiple polices).
- To re-add an eSlip if you’ve gotten a new vehicle or your policy has renewed, tap on the ‘More’ tab, then tap ‘Pink Slip’. Choose your vehicle (for single policies) or choose your policy then vehicle (for multiple polices).
- Your eSlip will automatically be added to your phone’s digital wallet.
Want to view your physical pink slip in your account? Follow these steps:
- Log in to your account and click on the ‘Easily access your digital pink slip’ card.
- For single policies click ’Download’. For multiple policies, choose your policy number and then click ‘Download’.
We’ll also send you a hard copy of your pink slip through the mail (which takes about 5 business days).
Haven’t received your liability slip in the mail? First, double check the mailing address listed on your account. You can do this by signing into your account and selecting Settings. If your mailing address is incorrect or you would like to request a new pink slip be mailed,
The Ontario government sets out required coverages and approves pricing for auto policies. In some provinces you can also purchase your insurance from the province. In Ontario, you purchase your car insurance through a private insurer. With Sonnet, you can get an
Heads up! Check out these tips on
We give you our best price that’s specifically tailored for you. We’ve come up with a number of ways to help make sure you get the best price on your insurance.
There are a number of ways you could save on your auto insurance:
- Exclusive Sonnet Savings. Self-service has its benefits! You’ll save just for purchasing your insurance online. How easy is that?
- Claims Free. If you’re lucky enough to have been claims-free for six years, you could save.
- Convictions Free. Good driving behaviour deserves to be rewarded!
- Multi-Vehicle. Insuring more than one vehicle with us? Awesome! You may qualify for a multi-vehicle saving.
- Multi-Policy (home and auto). You could save when you insure both your home and your vehicle with us.
- Winter Tires (only in Ontario). They’ll keep you safe and help you save on your auto insurance.
Canadian University Alumniand Canadian College Alumni. You could save when you are a Canadian University or College alumni or student.
TIP: Do you live in Toronto? Find out how to
Yes, you’ll still need to get car insurance for your leased or financed vehicle. It’s not included in your lease or contract.
The leasing or financing company may have specific car insurance requirements as a condition of your contract with them. These could include a minimum deductible for collision and comprehensive coverages. You’ll also need to list them on your policy as an additional interest, since they have a stake in your car. And, they’ll require you to provide them with proof of insurance.
Still have questions?
Do you live in Toronto? Find out which has the
Using your vehicle to carry paying passengers is considered
Start saving on your car insurance today
The 5 minutes to get insured is based on the average Sonnet customer experience.
Average monthly premiums for auto insurance in Ontario are based on current Sonnet policies as of July 2020, with assumptions made to determine demographic groups.
The average cost of an auto claim in Ontario is based on 2019 claims data from Sonnet and Economical Insurance.