Ask Sonnet: What isn’t covered by my auto policy?
Ask Sonnet: What isn’t covered by my auto policy?
Your auto insurance policy is there to protect you, your vehicle and other drivers on the road. Knowing what you’re not covered for is just as important as knowing what is covered by your policy.

Here are a few things that aren’t covered by the standard auto policy to keep in mind, so you don’t impact your coverage.

Items left in your car

It’s always best to store higher-valued items out-of-sight when you temporarily leave your car. Maybe even bring them with you if they’re small enough!

If they somehow get damaged while you’re gone, and your auto insurance company doesn’t cover them, your home insurance policy should cover this instead.

Unfortunately, any stolen items also won’t be covered, so you’ll want to make sure to keep your items secured at all times.

Damage to the car from mother nature

Your basic auto insurance policy will only provide collision coverage for damages and injuries to other people or property in an accident.

Adding comprehensive coverage to your policy will make sure you’re protected from damages from things not related to a collision – such as fires, vandalism or falling objects.

Using your car for work

If you’re using your vehicle for work purposes (whether it’s moving cargo or driving paying customers), you’ll want to let your insurer know.

When you set up your policy, simply let them know if your vehicle will be used for work purposes, and how you’ll be using it, to confirm if you may need commercial car insurance. If you’re not sure, we can help with that. Just give us a call at 1-844-SONNET4.

Loaning your car

Say you’re lending your car to a friend, think of it as also lending them your insurance policy. In the unlikely event that something happens to your car while they’re using it, you could be held liable.

Renting a car

Consider opting into added rental car insurance coverage (which is paid on top of your monthly premium for the term of your policy) if you plan on renting frequently.

Travelling outside of Canada

Before you drive across the border, it’s a good idea to call your insurer to double-check that you’re covered for driving in the USA.

If you are covered, and you travel to the US frequently, it might be helpful to top up your liability insurance since it could cover pricey damages in the event of an accident.


Did you just lower your car on a new set of wheels, or get an aftermarket performance upgrade? Your insurance policy may not cover your vehicle – check with your insurer prior to upgrading, and consider getting coverage specifically for high-valued modified vehicles.

Classic Cars

Your standard auto policy probably won’t cover that 1970 Chevelle SS sitting in your grandpa’s garage.

Not to worry though, there is specialized classic car insurance that’s tailored towards the specific usage of the vehicle. If you do intend on driving it on a daily basis, you’ll want to get your car appraised and ask how your insurance company would value your car if ever involved in an accident.

Coverage your car’s always wanted at a competitive price.