Being prepared for an event like an earthquake can go a long way in helping you stay calm and focused. Here are a few tips on what to do before, after and during an earthquake.
- Create a home emergency kit
- Make your home “quake safe”: Secure small objects to surfaces with plastic putty, ensure wall units and bookcases are secured to wall studs and use non-slip mats under small appliances
- Have an evacuation plan
- Identify “safe spots” in each room (tables or desks you can get under)
When there’s an earthquake, just remember these three very important words:
down to the floor
Find a sturdy table or desk to get under and take cover
on to the furniture. Hold on and prepare to move with it. Don’t let go until the shaking stops and it’s safe to move.
- Check portable, battery-operated radio for updates and instructions
- Don’t ignore aftershocks
- Do a quick damage check
- Watch out for shifted items
Not covered by Sonnet yet? Check out our coverage and