Maybe you are one, or maybe you were raised by one – the weekend warrior Mom or Dad is the modern-day superhero. They’re the parent who’s juggling multiple schedules, is at the rink or the field or the studio (sometimes all three) every weekend cheering on their kid from the sideline. With some help from our friends at Ontario Soccer and Toronto FC, we asked a few soccer moms how they manage busy weekends.
Busy parents know that solid time management is a basic requirement, especially if you have multiple kids playing multiple sports. But it’s not always easy. We sat down with soccer moms Raj, Annie, Mariam and Natasha to get some tricks and tips on how to stay ready for anything.
- Be willing to drive long distances. It comes with the job; sports practices and games will have you driving all around the province. Apps like Google Maps and Waze will be your best friend!
- Plan ahead. The day or night before a busy day at the field, plan for everything you might need. Pack protein bars, fruit and water, or make sure their uniforms are clean. Thinking about the rest of the day (post-game or practice) will also be a big help; can you get groceries while they’re practicing?
- Also plan for family time. As much as you need to think about getting everything done, it’s important to pencil in some time to just hang out with the family! Plan a game or movie night once the weekend running around is over.
- Keep a food “stash” in the car (at all times). Natasha swears by this: keeping a kit in your car full of juice boxes, water, and healthy snacks will be a huge help. You won’t have to think of grabbing snacks every time you head out.
- Pack a bag dedicated to each kid and each sport. If you have multiple kids who play soccer, hockey, basketball – you name it – you’ll know how easy it is to mix up their stuff. Mariam suggests having a separate bag where you keep everything for each sport. For example, pack the cleats, uniform, water bottle, and any other essential in the bag, and only take it out for washing.
- Scheduling apps. There’s plenty of organization apps out there, include ones where you can make individualized schedules for each kid, so you can see where everyone needs to be all in one place.
- Carpooling. Raj thanked her friends who help out with carpooling – don’t be afraid to ask for help!
- Teamwork makes the dream work. Annie coordinates with her husband to get everything done. Communication with your partner is key.
When speaking to the moms, we also asked what their favourite part about going to the games and practices were. Across the board, each of them said it was getting to watch their sons or daughters play and fall in love with the game. They love watching their kids improve, make friends, build time management skills, and develop as good people.
We also asked what their kids’ favourite songs are to play in the car and get pumped up for the game. Their top pick? Old Town Road, of course.
- Live it up – Nicky Jam, Will Smith, Era Istrefi
- Immortals – Fall Out Boy
- All star – Smashmouth
- We’re not gonna take it – Twister Sister
- Uprising – Muse
- Don’t let me down – The Chainsmokers, Daya
- Old town road (Remix) – Lil Nas X, Billy Ray Cyrus
- One dance – Drake
- Titanium – David Guetta, Sia
- We are one (Ole ola) – Pitbull
- Whatever it takes – Imagine Dragons
- The man – The Killers
- Uptown funk – Mark Ronson, Bruno Mars
- This is what you came for – Calvin Harris, Rhianna
- The cup of life – Ricky Martin
- Moves like Jagger – Maroon 5
- BOOM – X Ambassadors
- Wavin’ flag – K’naan
- Hungry like the wolf – Duran Duran
- Jump around – House of Pain
- Pump it – Black Eyed Peas
- Black betty – Spiderbait
- Remember the name – Fort Minor, Styles Of Beyond
- Boasty – Wiley ft. Sean Paul & Idris Elba
- Light it up (Remix) – Major Lazer, Nyla, Fuse ODG
- Fireball – Pitbull
- Dar um jeito (We will find a way) – Santana, Wyclef Jean, Avicii, Alexandre Pires
- Wow – Post Malone
- Dreams – Beck
- Shine a light – BANNERS
Busy parent on the go? Get insured instantly,
Sonnet is a proud sponsor of Toronto Football Club (TFC).
"Toronto FC”, and associated word marks and logos are trademarks, designs and other forms of intellectual property of Major League Soccer, L.L.C., Used by permission © TFC 2019. MLS All rights reserved.