Will you provide me with a rental car while mine is being repaired for the damages caused by an accident?

Need a rental car after an accident? We want to make sure you’ll still be able to get around if you can’t use your car, without draining your bank account with daily rental car fees! The good news is, there are coverages that can help – whether you’re at fault in an accident or not. Here’s the scoop on what you’ll need to have on your policy if you want a rental car after a collision.

If you were at fault: You’ll get a rental car comparable to your own as long as you have Loss of Use Coverage on your policy. This is an optional coverage you must add on. Loss of Use covers the cost of a rental vehicle comparable to your own, while yours is being repaired after an at-fault accident. It’s also included in our Rental Extension Bundle coverage (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario and P.E.I.) and our Enhanced Protection Bundle in Ontario. We can also help cover regular travel costs after an accident – like taking a cab or the bus to work.

If you weren’t at fault: You’ll be provided with a rental car under Direct Compensation Property Damage (DCPD) coverage if you weren’t at fault, or were only partially at-fault for an accident. DCPD applies in NB, NS, ON (where it’s optional), and PEI. In Quebec, a rental car will be provided under the Direct Compensation Agreement (DCA). And again, we’ll help cover travel costs (like taxi or bus fare) if you need it after an accident.

Be sure to review your policy every year (at least!) to make sure you have the coverage you need. Have questions about your policy? Get in touch! We’re here to help. You can contact us via email or chat about billing, coverage, and more.