What's the difference between collision and comprehensive car insurance coverage?

Collision and comprehensive coverage work together to protect your car from many kinds of damage – so you won’t need to pay out-of-pocket to repair or replace your car.

Collision coverage protects your car when you’re at-fault in an accident, such as:

  • Your car hits another car
  • Your car hits an object (like a road sign or a street light)
  • Your car rolls over

Heads up! For some not-at-fault accidents, like if you’re involved in a hit and run collision, you're still covered under your collision coverage.

Comprehensive coverage is a little different, because it protects your car from damage that’s caused from things other than an accident. This could be a rock hitting your windshield or a tree falling on your car during a storm. While comprehensive coverage can differ between insurers, here’s what it commonly covers you for:

  • Your car is damaged by fire
  • Your car is vandalized
  • Your car is stolen
  • Your car is damaged by a falling object
  • Your car is damaged from a wind or hailstorm

Heads up! Although not mandatory coverage, if you lease your vehicle, both collision and comprehensive coverage are usually required by your leasing or financing company. Learn more about insuring your leased or financed vehicle.