Does home insurance cover tornadoes?

Yes – as long as your home insurance policy includes coverage for wind (or windstorm) damage.

Many people aren’t aware that Canada has its own tornado alleys, much like the U.S.! These alleys are located in Southern Ontario between Windsor and Barrie, and the southern prairies from Alberta through Manitoba. If you live in one of these areas, make sure your policy has coverage for wind or windstorms.

At Sonnet, windstorm damage is included in your home insurance. If the worst happens and a tornado damages your home, other structures (like your garage), and your belongings, we’ll be there to get you back to where you need to be.

Have more questions about what you’re covered for (or what you’re not)? Just reach out via email or chat – we’re happy to help!