Is flooding covered by my home insurance?

No – flooding generally isn’t covered by a standard home insurance policy.

The good news is, at Sonnet you can add what’s called Overland Water coverage to your policy to protect you from flooding caused by fresh water coming in through your windows and doors at ground level. (This flooding can be caused by excessive rain, river flooding, and melting snow.) Adding this coverage will cost a little more, but it’s worth it for the peace of mind – especially if you live in an area with heavy rainfall, for example. Keep in mind that not everyone will be eligible for this coverage. And, so we can be sure you have full protection, it’s always paired with Sewer Backup as a package – the two can’t be bought separately.

Heads up! Overland Water doesn’t cover flooding due to coastal water (salt water), tsunamis, waves and tidal waves.

Want to know more about different types of water damage is and isn’t covered by a home insurance policy? Click here for more info about water damage – and a fun video to explain it starring one of Sonnet’s very own.