Does my landlord insurance cover burst pipes or plumbing?

Well, it depends on the source of the water damage.

What won’t it cover?

If one of your tenants has a plumbing issue, it’s your responsibility as a landlord to repair it before serious damage happens. Landlord insurance covers damage due to events that are sudden or accidental. Failing to make repairs in a timely manner isn’t considered to be either – so you’d be on the hook for paying to make things right.

Your Sonnet landlord policy won’t cover the following:

  • Maintenance to your plumbing due to wear and tear, poor maintenance or general aging.
  • Any gradual water damage from leakage or seepage over a period of time.

What will it cover?

You do have coverage for damage in certain sudden, accidental situations. These include:

  • Water enters the rented house through the roof when an opening is created by wind
  • Accidental water escape from a plumbing system, appliance or swimming pool.

Issues that happen with your pipes and plumbing can get complicated when it comes to insurance, and what is and isn’t covered. At the end of the day, an insurance adjuster will have to assess the situation to determine how the damage occurred.

Have more questions about your landlord policy? Get in touch with us via email or chat. We’re happy to help!