Do you insure older pets?
We sure do! Whether you’ve got a brand-new kitten or puppy or a more senior pet, we don’t have an age limit on the pets we’ll insure.
If your dog is over 8 or your cat is over 10, we do require some additional information before we can issue a policy.
Here’s what we’ll need you to provide within the 2 months prior to your application for coverage:
- Results of a comprehensive exam
- Complete urinalysis
- Blood tests (Creatinine, B.U.N., ALT, Alkaline Phosphatase, Total Protein, Albumin, Complete Blood Count and T4)
If my pet develops an ongoing condition, will I be covered?
Yes. As long as your pet didn’t show any signs or symptoms of that condition prior to the policy start date, or during the waiting period that applies to that condition.
Does Sonnet Pet Insurance offer dental coverage for my pet?
Yes! To keep your pet’s chompers healthy and clean, the plan has an annual coverage amount of $300 for routine dental care.
Please note that for all pets, a six-month waiting period applies before dental coverage can be used.
Does Sonnet Pet Insurance cover alternative therapies?
Yes. But, keep in mind that alternative therapies work differently in terms of coverage in that a separate limit applies.
As long as it’s prescribed by a vet, the plan can provide coverage for things like:
- Homeopathic treatments
- Stem cell therapy
- Laser therapy
- Massage therapy
What doesn’t Sonnet Pet Insurance cover?
As a Sonnet Pet Insurance customer, you deserve full transparency. That’s why we want you to know exactly what your pet is covered for – and what they’re not. We’re unable to provide coverage for the following:
- Any conditions where signs or symptoms were showing before the policy started or before the end of the waiting periods
- Expenses resulting from pregnancy and associated conditions
- Optional treatments you choose to carry out
- Alternative medications that don’t have a drug identification number (DIN) or natural health product (NHP) number
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Food and special diets
- Wellness coverage and routine care such as vaccines, annual check-ups, heartworm preventive medication, flea control medication, etc.
Want more details on our coverage? Reach out to one of our customer service representatives by
Can you remove an exclusion from my pet insurance policy?
Some exclusions can be reviewed. If your dog has an ear infection, for example, or if it’s another issue that isn’t typically reoccurring in your pet, it may be subject to review. If you’d like us to assess an exclusion, you can contact us over the
- At the time of the review, your pet must be free of symptoms and must not require treatment.
- To complete the review, you’ll be asked to provide all applicable medical history and the results of a comprehensive exam within 90 days that confirms that the excluded condition has been resolved.
We’ll send you written confirmation of our decision within 5-10 business days of receiving all requested documents.