Got a summer car that hibernates in the winter? You can switch your auto insurance over to Comprehensive only coverage while your car is in storage. (This option is not available in Quebec.) Doing so will remove all coverage from your vehicle except for Comprehensive coverage. This means that your car will only be covered for events that can happen while it’s parked, such as fire, theft, or vandalism. It also means that you can’t drive your car, as it won’t have liability coverage or accident benefits.
You can manage your vehicle’s coverage through your Sonnet account. Log in to your account and follow these steps to switch to Comprehensive only coverage:
- Click on your auto policy, followed by Edit policy.
- Select Update vehicles, drivers and coverage and the date you want the change to take effect.
- Continue to Your coverage details. Under Coverage with choice, click View other options.
- Select Comprehensive only. After clicking Update, you’ll need to confirm that you’re sure you want to make this change.
- Click Update policy.
- Click Update policy one more time to make the change.
When you’re ready to drive your car again, don’t forget to add coverage back to your vehicle.
Heads up! If you're leasing or financing your vehicle, before changing your coverage, check that your leasing or financing company will allow this. Most leasing and financing agreements require you to carry a certain amount of coverage at all times.