How do you register a vehicle in Alberta?

You can’t register a personal vehicle in Alberta without first getting car insurance for it. Once you’ve insured your vehicle, you’ll need to register it to get it on the road. And, there are a few things you need to do (and documents to collect) in order to do it.

Tip: Looking for an Alberta car insurance quote? Get one online in around 5 minutes – no fuss, no need to call!

First, if you have any outstanding fines, you’ll need to pay them before registering. You must also be over 18 to register your personal vehicle. For anyone under 18, you’ll need a parent or guardian’s consent.

Then, you must visit the registration office with the following information:

  • Proof of ownership document. This could be a lease, bill of sale, probated will or letters of administration.
  • Proof of valid insurance for the car. This needs to include the name(s) of the person(s) requesting the registration.
  • Valid identification.
  • An out-of-province, salvage or commercial inspection (if applicable).
  • You could require an inspection if the car was purchased outside of Alberta, if you’re registering a used vehicle in Alberta for the first time.

Heads up! Sonnet doesn’t provide insurance for commercial vehicles. If you need info on how to register a commercial vehicle in Alberta, visit the government website.

If you have any other questions, please check out our FAQ page. Or, you can reach out to us via chat or email. Our Customer Service Heroes are more than happy to answer your questions about Alberta car insurance coverage, pricing and more! Remember, every driver has different needs. It’s best to find out from an expert what’ll work best for you.