Home insurance for property owners in Ontario

Buy home insurance online in 5 minutes.

Own a home in Ontario? Make sure you’re covered

Home – it’s where we make our very best memories. Whether it’s your first house in Toronto, your forever home in Mississauga, or your vacation place up north – make sure you have the protection you need for your Ontario property with home insurance tailored just for you. Get a customized insurance quote and coverage for your home in Ontario, in language you can understand, at a competitive price – and do it all online. Plus, there’s no need to wait to purchase your policy – you can do that online, too. No phone call, no fuss. We’ve changed homeowners insurance for the better, so you can worry less and live more.

Why do I need home insurance in Ontario?

Your house is one of the biggest purchases you’ll make. And with property prices soaring in Ontario, you’ll want to protect that investment. For example, in Ontario the average cost of a fire claim is $76,172. If something happens to your home – like fire, windstorm or flooding after a rainstorm – house insurance will be there to repair or rebuild so you can get back to making memories in the place you love.

What does home insurance cover?

Here are some of the main coverages you can find under a standard property insurance policy in Ontario. To make sure you have the best home insurance for your needs, always review your coverages when you’re doing your online quote so you understand what you’re covered for and what exclusions may exist.

Standard home insurance coverages

Liability Insurance

Protect yourself and the people in your home in case you’re sued. You’re covered if someone gets hurt while visiting or for damage you may unintentionally cause, whether it happens in Ontario or not.

Dwelling and Detached Structures

If something happens to your home, we’ll pay to repair or rebuild it. Also, because your home isn’t just four walls, we also cover things like your detached garage and shed.

Personal Belongings

Often called contents insurance, this protects anything you own that you could pack in a bag or put in a moving truck. Contents insurance in Ontario includes things like your clothing, jewellery, electronics, furniture, etc. These are covered while they’re on your property or temporarily removed (like when you’re travelling to work – or out of the country).

Extra Expenses

In case something happens and you can’t live in your home – you’re covered while your house is being repaired. Choose to stay in a hotel or with friends and family, we’ll provide you with the cash for living expenses either way. Renting out part of your home at the time of loss? You’ll also be covered for your net rental income until your tenants can move back in.

Identity Theft

This covers you and anyone else on your policy in case your identity is stolen. We’ll reimburse you for legal fees as well as certain other costs that could happen, up to a limit. These could include lost wages if you have to take time off work to sort it out, and payment for services that help you get back to where you need to be.

Additional home insurance coverages

Sewer Backup

This coverage can help in some smelly situations. If water backs up or escapes into your home through a sewer, sump, septic tank, or flood drain, this will cover you for the damage caused. Coverage offered depends on eligibility (this typically depends on where you live in Ontario).

Overland Water

Some parts of Ontario are well-known for rainstorms and the ensuing flooding. You’re covered for damage to your home cause by fresh water, such as excessive rain, spring run-off and melting snow, coming in a ground level through windows and doors. Coverage offered depends on eligibility (this typically depends on where you live in Ontario).

How much does home insurance cost in Ontario?

The cost of Ontario home insurance is priced based on what we know about you and your home. Insurance companies consider things like how much coverage you need, the building type and location of your home in Ontario and your claims history. Here are some examples of the average cost of home insurance with Sonnet in Ontario:

$106/month avg.

The average Torontonian can get house insurance for around the same price as dinner and wine for two from a local restaurant.

$100/month avg.

Monthly home insurance for a Mississauga family costs about as much as a day trip to the Toronto Zoo.

$96/month avg.

An Ottawa homeowner can expect their house insurance to cost less than a family phone plan with unlimited talk, text and data.

"My only regret is not finding you sooner. If there’s anyone out there who’s still shopping around for home / auto insurance – stop. You’ve found it, right here. Go Sonnet!" "Super easy, super customer service, super price. Almost a third of the price of other companies for house insurance. Couldn’t be happier with this company. Thanks Sonnet." “…I’ve enjoyed the easy customer service and quick responses to all of my questions. I look forward to adding home insurance in the near future.” “Just signed up for Sonnet Insurance – one of the best online experiences of my life. Cheers!” "I was talking to my friend about overpaying my insurance and couldn't change insurers because of all of the paper work. He suggested that I try Sonnet online. Quote took literally 3 to 5 minutes and the price they gave me was unbelievable."
How you can save on home insurance in Ontario

Engineering graduates in Ontario

If you’re an engineering graduate you can take advantage of an exclusive discount on your home insurance.

Accounting graduates in Ontario

As an accounting graduate, get more for less with an exclusive discount on your home insurance.

Canadian University Alumni

Did you graduate from a Canadian university? If so, take advantage of the alumni benefits of home insurance in Ontario with Sonnet.

More ways to save in Ontario

You could save an average of $474 with Sonnet’s group discount. It’s easy - start an online quote and search for the name of your organization or association. A few organizations that trust Sonnet:

North York General Hospital

Learn more

The Denturist Association of Ontario

Learn more

Therapeutic Recreation Ontario

Learn more

Questions about home insurance? We’ve got your back

Insuring your home should be simple. We’ve made getting a home insurance quote in Ontario quick and easy, and we’re here to help from start to finish. Read through our current blogs or most commonly asked questions on home insurance to get started.

Does my Sonnet policy cover me for short-term rentals or home sharing through networks like Airbnb?

If you have a homeowner’s policy with Sonnet, you’re allowed to rent a portion of your home to a maximum of two people or a separate unit in your home to a family as long as you’re living there at the time.

If you’re not living there during the time it’s rented, or this isn’t your primary residence, then it’s not covered under your homeowner’s policy and you’ll need a landlord policy.

If you have a condo owner’s policy with Sonnet, you’re allowed to rent out your entire condo regardless of whether you’re living there or not. However, your coverage for burglary or theft is limited.

Heads up! If you have a long-term rental unit in your home and also rent out a portion on a short-term rental network, this could exceed the limitations of your policy. Please contact us if this applies to you and we’ll make sure you’ve got the right coverage.

For more information on insurance and short-term renting, check out our blog on short-term rental insurance 101.

What is Above and Beyond home coverage?

If you upgrade your Custom Limits for your special belongings, you’ll receive our Above and Beyond home coverage, which adds three extra perks to your policy:

First Claim Forgiveness. This means your rate won’t increase after your first claim. We’ll pretend it didn’t even happen.

Replacement Cost Guarantee. You’ll have the flexibility to settle claims at replacement cost, even if you decide not to repair or replace the damaged items.

Enhanced Deductible Waiver. We’ll waive your deductible for claims of $10,000 or more. Sorry, this doesn’t include claims caused by earthquakes.

Heads up! These perks cannot be added to a tenant or landlord policy.

Do I need property insurance in Canada?

Whether it’s a house or a condo, buying a new property is a big investment. But, it’s more than a piece of property, it’s your home. That’s why it’s important for every home and condo owner to buy property insurance in Canada. Without property insurance, you’d be responsible for covering the cost if something were to happen to your home or your stuff, you’d have to pay out of pocket for covering the cost.

Plus, if you have a mortgage on your house or condo, your lender will also likely require you to have home insurance coverage.

How are home insurance premiums calculated?

During home insurance calculation, insurance companies look at a complex set of factors. These will determine the likelihood of you making a claim – and how much a claim could cost. The higher the likelihood is, the higher your premium will be.

Factors that can affect your home insurance premium include:

  • Where your home is located 
    Based on your postal code, an insurer can find out how many claims are made in that area – and why they happen. For example, if your area has frequent windstorms, there could be more frequent claims for damage. This could cause your home premium to be higher than that of a house in an area that doesn’t have windstorms very often.
  • Home age and condition 
    The older the building, the higher the likelihood of a claim. That’s because things like old wiring (fuses, for example) are a bigger risk for fire. And, old plumbing increases your risk of claims due to sudden leaks or burst pipes. 
  • Heating equipment
    If your home is heated with oil (like it is in many rural areas), your premium could be higher. Oil tank leaks increase risk of damage and environmental hazards. Wood stoves are also a common source of house fires, so they could raise your payments, too. 
  • Proximity to fire support 
    If your home is close to a fire station and fire hydrants – like in an urban area – your premium could be lower than a home in a rural location, where travel distance is longer. 
  • Number of past claims 
    The longer you’ve been claims free, the lower your premium will be. If you’ve had a claim in the last year, you can expect your premium to go up at renewal. 
  • Your age and other information about you 
    As you get older, your premium will tend to decrease. The fact is, many insurance providers consider homeowners with more experience as less risky to insure. Some insurers could also look at your credit score. 
  • How you use your home 
    Do you rent out rooms or a basement unit in your house? Factors like this may also impact your premium since they can increase damage and liability risks. 
Can I get insurance coverage for my vacation home?

Yes, you can cover your vacation property with a separate home insurance policy. Your vacation home must be located in Canada.

If you’re not at your second home during the winter, there are a few things you’ll need to do to protect your home. Drain the plumbing system and close the water inlet to keep the pipes from freezing and bursting. If your vacation home has central heating, set the thermostat low enough to conserve energy but high enough to keep pipes from bursting. Burst pipes due to freezing isn’t covered under your vacation home coverage if you’ve been away from the property for more than 14 days and haven’t had anyone checking on it.

What are some extra home coverages I should know about?

Depending on where you live, additional coverages are available to add on for certain events that aren’t covered by a standard home policy. These coverages are hail, sewer back up, overland water and earthquake. All of these coverages can be added when making your quote.

Already purchased? You can add on these coverages at any time through your account.

I rent my home out from time to time. What kind of coverage should I get?

Well, it depends. If there are no more than two renters, you’re allowed to rent part of your house out under your Homeowners Policy. You’re also covered if you have one additional unit within your home that’s rented to one family only.

If you’re renting out a property separate from your home our Landlord Policy will make sure you’re covered if there’s any damage to items that belong to you and the property. Things like major appliances, fixtures or tools (a lawn mower or snow shovel are a couple of examples). If you live in your home, but you have more tenants than our Homeowners Policy allows for, you can purchase our Landlord Policy in addition, to cover you and your home adequately.

Don’t wait to start saving

Already have home insurance? Find out how much it could cost to cancel your current policy.

Average monthly premiums for home insurance in Ontario are based on current Sonnet policies as of February 2024, with assumptions made to determine demographic groups.

The average cost of a fire claim in Ontario is based on 2019 claims data from Sonnet and Economical Insurance.