Tenant insurance for renters in B.C.

Buy renters insurance for your rental home in B.C.

Tailored tenant insurance for renters in British Columbia

Whether you’re renting a condo in urban Vancouver, an apartment in Surrey or a house in the family-friendly city of Delta, Sonnet tenant insurance has B.C. renters covered. Get a customized quote, in language you can understand, at a competitive price – and do it all online. We’ve changed tenant insurance for the better, so you can worry less and live more.

Why do I need tenant insurance in B.C.?

As a renter, you need tenant insurance because your landlord’s policy doesn’t cover your personal belongings. Think about all the stuff you own and how much it would cost to replace everything. In B.C., the average cost of a content insurance claim is $7,614. Surprised? Your stuff is valuable. Tenant insurance also includes personal liability which is an important coverage for all renters to have. Accidents happen, so it’s better to be protected then to have to pay out-of-pocket for damages or repairs.

What does tenant insurance cover in British Columbia?

Here are some of the common coverages included in insurance for British Columbia renters, and a few more additional coverages that we think you should have. Remember, every tenant policy is different. Be sure to review yours so you know exactly what you’re covered for and what you’re not.

Standard tenant insurance coverages

Liability Insurance

Protect yourself and the people in your home in case you’re sued with tenant liability insurance. You’re covered if someone gets hurt while visiting or for damage you may unintentionally cause.

Personal Belongings

Often called contents insurance, this protects anything you own that you could pack in a bag or put in a moving truck. Contents insurance in B.C. covers things like your clothing, electronics, furniture, etc. These are covered while they’re on your property or temporarily removed (like when you’re travelling to work – or out of the country).

Extra Expenses

In case something happens and you can’t live in your apartment in B.C. – you’re covered while your unit is being repaired. Choose to stay in a hotel or with friends and family, we’ll provide you with the cash either way.

Unit Improvements

You’re covered for the cost of any damage to improvements you’ve made to your rental unit to make it your own. This could be built-in closet organizers or unique light fixtures.

Identity Theft

This covers you and anyone else on your policy in case your identity is stolen. We’ll reimburse you for legal fees as well as certain other costs that could happen, up to a limit. These could include lost wages if you have to take time off work to sort it out, and payment for services that help you get back to where you need to be.

Additional tenant insurance coverages

Sewer Backup

This coverage can help in some smelly situations. If water backs up or escapes into your rental unit through a sewer, sump, septic tank, or floor drain, this will cover you for the damage caused. Coverage offered depends on eligibility.

Overland Water

You’re covered for damage to your home caused by fresh water, such as excessive rain, spring run-off and melting snow, coming in at ground level through windows and doors. Coverage offered depends on eligibility.

Earthquake Coverage

This protection covers you for loss or damage arising directly or indirectly from an earthquake. You’re also covered if the earthquake shock results in snowslide, landslide, or other earth movements that cause damage to your property.

“Only had great experiences with customer service when needing to call and clarify the policy. Love how I can make the changes to my policy online and it’s easy to understand.”

Canadian University Alumni

Get an exclusive discount as a Canadian University Alumni and save on tenant insurance in B.C.

More ways to save in British Columbia

You could save an average of $474 with Sonnet’s group discount. It’s easy - start an online quote and search for the name of your organization or association. A few organizations that trust Sonnet:


Learn more

The Canadian Society of Association Executives

Learn more

Questions about tenant insurance in B.C.? We've got answers

Getting a tenant insurance quote with Sonnet is quick and easy – with plenty of help along the way. Read through our current blogs and most commonly asked questions on tenant insurance to get started.

Are there any coverage limitations for certain belongings?

A small number of personal belongings fall into a category called Standard Limits, which means you’re covered for these items up to a fixed dollar amount. These amounts cannot be increased (unlike Specialty Belongings). Some examples of these items are business property, gift cards and spare auto parts.

The list of items that fall into Standard Limits can be found during the quoting process, or in your Policy Wordings document (if you’re already a home customer).

Check out our blog for more information on how all of your belongings are covered.

What if I’m renting with other people – can I add my roommate?

Your spouse or common-law partner and your kids are already covered by your policy. Anyone else who is living with you and is also on your lease can be added to your tenant policy to share coverage. To do this, just add them as a tenant when you buy your tenant insurance online.

If you’ve already purchased and want to add them to your existing Sonnet policy, log in to your account and click on your tenant policy. Select the Tenants tab and click Add a tenant. 

Here are the details you’ll need to have ready for your roommate:

  • Their full name
  • Their date of birth
  • Their email address
  • Their phone number

Once all of this has been entered, click Add. Your policy documents will update to include their name.

How are my personal belongings covered?

Personal belongings are anything that you own that you could pack in a bag or take in a moving van with you. For example, your clothes, laptop, cellphone, refrigerator etc., are all things included in your personal belongings coverage. When you set up your policy, you have the option to set your coverage limit for your personal belongings, based on approximately how much your stuff is worth.

If you have fancier items, like expensive jewellery or silverware, consider whether their cost would be within your overall personal belongings limit. If not, you can either increase your overall limit or add these items separately to your policy. They’ll be covered by their own limit(s) and have no deductible.

How do you calculate the cost of tenant insurance?

We ask you a few key questions to access public information about the place you’re renting along with personal information you provide to determine your rate. The information we use includes:

  • Where your rental is located
  • Home structure, age, type of heating, etc.
  • Number of past insurance claims
  • Information about you (age, credit score if applicable, etc.)

Using this information and a whole lot of math and statistics, you get the most competitive price – savings included. The whole process takes just 5 minutes and the price you’re quoted is final. Buy online right away or save your quote and lock in your price for 45 days or until the coverage start date (whichever is sooner).

Looking for tenant insurance? Live in B.C.?

Answer a few questions and we’ll calculate how much it could cost you to cancel and switch your renters insurance to Sonnet.

Average monthly premiums for tenant insurance in British Columbia are based on current Sonnet policies as of February 2021, with assumptions made to determine demographic groups.

The average cost of a content insurance claim in British Columbia is based on 2019 claims data from Sonnet and Economical Insurance.