No. Right now, Sonnet Shift is only for drivers using their cars for personal use, or acceptable business purposes such as commuting to and from work. Using your car for
Unsure if the way you use your car is acceptable under your car insurance policy? We can answer your questions! Just
Sonnet Shift is currently available to drivers in Ontario. But check back soon – more Canadians will be able to sign up for Sonnet Shift in the near future. The program is completely voluntary and free to join, too!
Here are the Sonnet Shift eligibility requirements:
- All drivers, other than excluded drivers, must meet Sonnet Shift’s underwriting rules;
- It’s required for the Principal Driver and any Young Driver (under 25) to be enrolled in Sonnet Shift, if the Principal Driver signs up for the program. For any Secondary Drivers, it’s optional;
- All enrolled vehicles must be of private passenger type and must have Liability and Direct Compensation Property Damage coverage at all times while enrolled;
- To enroll and remain enrolled in Sonnet Shift, all enrolled drivers must:
- Hold a valid full (G) or probationary (G2) driver’s license. Drivers insured on another policy, excluded drivers, and drivers with a learner’s license (G1) are not eligible to enroll in Sonnet Shift;
- Have their own iPhone or Android smartphone.
So, what are you waiting for?
The enrollment discount is our way of saying thank you for signing up with Sonnet Shift! And this means more money in your wallet. If this is your first time enrolling in the program, you’ll receive a one-time enrollment discount, which automatically saves you 10% on your premium. Once you’ve taken at least 20 trips and driven 300 kms, the enrollment discount will be replaced by your
If you haven’t taken at least 20 trips and driven 300 km, the enrollment discount will remain for one more quarter (3 months). But the enrollment discount won’t last forever! It’ll be removed on your next quarter. So, take a drive every now and then to make sure you meet the minimum trips requirement.
To calculate your auto insurance premium, Sonnet Shift looks at three key factors to evaluate how you drive, when you drive and how much you drive.
The Sonnet Insurance app tracks the kilometres throughout your entire policy term, for each driver enrolled in Sonnet Shift. Each driver’s
Heads up! Even though Sonnet Shift puts you in control of your car insurance premium, we still look at traditional rating factors like where you live, your driving record, your past claims, and other information about you (like your age).
Remember, every three months we give you the opportunity to earn a better discount! Be sure to keep tabs on your Driving Score and use the tips provided to continually improve your driving.
Your Driving Score is calculated by combining the individual scores from every trip you’ve taken in the last 90 days. The score is updated in real time and ranges from 0 to a perfect score of 100. The Driving Score is what we use to determine your quarterly
Here’s what the app records to determine your Driving Score, listed in order of impact:
- Smooth Driving – This measures how smoothly you accelerate and brake on the road. It can indicate the risk of being involved in a crash or having an insurance claim. Smooth driving and gentle braking result in a better score.
- Mobile Use – This measures how attentive you are while driving. Using your phone while your vehicle is moving (e.g., using GPS, unlocking your phone, selecting music, or taking a hands-free phone call etc.) will negatively impact your score.
- Speed – This measures if you’re maintaining a consistent, safe speed throughout your trip. Cruise control and keeping an eye on the speedometer can help you avoid speeding and earn a better discount.
- Fatigue – This measures the length of your drives. Shorter trips and regular breaks will improve your score, while regularly driving long distances without breaks will reduce your score.
- Time of Day – This measures when you usually drive. Getting on the road when there’s minimal traffic and during the daytime will improve your score. Regularly driving during rush hour and at night will reduce your score.
- Road Risk – This measures the difficulty of the roads you drive and how safe they are (e.g. a high number of intersections or lanes, heavy traffic or pedestrian density, poor street lighting and the frequency of accidents). Avoid these types of roads to help reduce your score.
You can view the breakdown of your overall Driving Score on the Dashboard screen of the Shift section in the app. Want to review the details of a trip you just took? Every trip detail is recorded and can be reviewed in the Trips tab (found in the Shift section in the app). Plus, you’ll get helpful tips on how you can improve your driving habits.
Discounts or surcharges will be applied to any drivers that are enrolled in Sonnet Shift. If you’re eligible and qualify for the enrollment discount, Driving Result, and the Mileage Discount they will be applied to the following coverages:
- Accident Benefits
- All Perils
- Comprehensive or Specified Perils
- Uninsured Automobile Coverage
Discounts are not applied to endorsements or Family Protection Coverage.
Have more questions about your Driving Result? Want to know more about the Mileage Discount? Not sure how the Enrollment Discount applies? You can contact us – we’re here to help! Or, read our handy FAQs for instant answers:
Driving Result Mileage Discount Enrollment Discount
It’s easy! To qualify for a discount or surcharge on your next Shift Adjustment, you just need to drive often enough. To receive an updated
How do I qualify for the Mileage Discount?
To qualify for the Mileage Discount on your next renewal term and to remain eligible for the discount:
- ALL eligible drivers (including Secondary Drivers) assigned to the enrolled vehicle must be enrolled in Sonnet Shift
- You must enroll in Sonnet Shift during the first eight months of your policy term
- Your annualized mileage must fall within a set kilometer band below:
- 1-5,000 km driven = 10% discount
- 5001-7,500 km driven = 5% discount
- 7,501-10,000 km driven = 2.5% discount
- >10,001 km driven and above = 0% discount
What is my Projected Annual Mileage?
The Projected Annual Mileage Discount (which you can view on your Dashboard in the Sonnet Insurance app) shows how many kilometers the app predicts you’ll drive over the course of the policy term, based on how many you’ve already driven. It’s updated once a week, every Sunday. This isn’t set in stone, though, since it depends on how much you drive.
What is my Projected Mileage Discount?
The Projected Mileage Discount (which you can view on your Dashboard in the Sonnet Insurance app) shows the percentage discount you’re on track to receive on your next renewal term! It’s also updated once a week, every Sunday. Like the actual number of kilometers you drive, this is subject to change based on how much you drive.
What is your Mileage Contribution?
Sonnet Shift tracks the kilometers that all enrolled drivers of your vehicle(s) drive throughout your entire policy term. We use this to compare how often each driver enrolled in Sonnet Shift drives. In the app, this is called your Mileage Contribution. Quarterly, your Mileage Contribution is used as one of the factors in calculating your premium.
Did you know? If you’re the Primary Named Insured, you’ll be able to track the Mileage Contribution of all enrolled drivers. This way, you know who’s driving the most. Handy if you’re the one paying for gas!
How is your Mileage Contribution calculated?
When you first enroll in Sonnet Shift, we ask you to tell us who drives each vehicle the most (the Primary Driver). We also ask who drives each one less (the Secondary Drivers and/or Young Drivers). These details help us determine your premium from the moment you sign up.
Then, throughout your policy term, we track your actual mileage. We compare the mileage for each individual driver with the total mileage of all drivers assigned to a vehicle. This gives us a percentage that we call your Mileage Contribution. Every 3 months from the start of your policy, we use this as a factor in adjusting your premium.
The easiest way to look at Mileage Contribution? Think about the breakdown of your hydro bill. The usage may change and could result in a higher or lower premium for each driver on your next Shift Adjustment.
Do unenrolled Secondary Drivers contribute to your Mileage Contribution?
We can’t track the Mileage Contribution of unenrolled Secondary Drivers. That’s why we assign them a combined Default Mileage Contribution of 20%. The total Mileage Contribution for all drivers on the vehicle equals 100%. The 80% left over will be distributed among enrolled drivers based on their tracked Mileage Contribution.
Heads up! Your Mileage Contribution is slightly different than your
It depends. If the Primary Driver or a Young Driver is unenrolled from Sonnet Shift, then all other drivers who were listed on that vehicle will also be unenrolled from the program. You should tell any other drivers on your policy before you make any changes.
If a Secondary Driver decides to opt out of Sonnet Shift, it won’t automatically unenroll the other drivers from the program.
Heads up! If you decide to opt out of Sonnet Shift,
Yes. You can opt out of Sonnet Shift at any time. Here’s how:
- Log in to your Sonnet.ca account.
- Start a policy change.
- Select Switch out of Sonnet Shift.
- Remove all enrolled driver(s) from the program.
- We’ll update your usage-based auto insurance policy to a traditional auto insurance policy and send you a confirmation email.
Keep in mind that
Once this change is completed, Named Insureds can still access the app. They will no longer have access to the Sonnet Shift section. Additional drivers will no longer have access to the app.
Heads Up! Deleting the app from your smartphone won’t automatically withdraw you from the program. You’ll still need to log into sonnet.ca to completely unenroll.
Don’t worry, your
If you’re driving a company car or were driving someone else’s vehicle (like a friend’s or a rental car), you should select that you were the driver. Trips made while driving another car will count towards your Driving Score and your mileage for the purposes of determining your Driving Result, Mileage Contribution, and Annual Mileage discount.
Yes! We encourage all drivers living under the same roof to sign up for Sonnet Shift. After all, who doesn’t like saving money?
However, there are a few rules to keep in mind:
- It’s mandatory for all Young Drivers (under 25) to be enrolled in the program, if the Principal Driver is enrolled.
- It’s optional for Secondary Drivers to join – if they do join, they must meet
- All drivers must have their own smartphone (with a mobile phone number) as well as an email address so that they can receive a welcome email related to the program. Each driver has to set up the app on their own phone.
With Sonnet Shift, you control your premium and your savings – with a chance to improve every 3 months from your policy start date. But that’s not all. Here are just a few of the benefits to signing up for Sonnet Shift:
- Sign up for free
- Get a 10% one-time enrollment discount just for signing up
- Earn up to a 35% discount on your premium by driving safely
- Save even more by driving less with an annual Mileage Discount of up to 10% at renewal
Enroll all the driversin your household to maximize control over your savings
- Improve your driving with personalized tips based on trips you’ve already taken, to help you learn safer habits
- View your projected discount (so you can keep up the good work!) or surcharge (so you can learn safer habits and start saving)
- Have your driving data at your fingertips 24/7
If Sonnet Shift isn’t for you there are still plenty of other ways you can
Sonnet Shift is our usage-based insurance program that puts drivers in control of their car insurance premiums.
Using an easy-to-download app on your smartphone, we track and collect your driving behaviours for every trip you make. We’ll review the collected data from the last 90 days and use that information to calculate your auto premium for the next three months, at your quarterly Sonnet Shift Adjustment. Based on your review, a discount or surcharge is applied.
What determines whether you get a discount or a surcharge on your premium?
It’s simple – you’re rewarded for safe driving habits with savings on your premium, while riskier driving could result in a surcharge (which means you’ll be paying more). This is why we want to see you drive your best – so you get the most savings possible!
Here’s how we determine the price of your Sonnet Shift premium:
- A one-time
Enrollment Discount Driving Scoreand Driving Result Mileage Contribution Mileage Discount
Heads up! Your Mileage Discount is evaluated annually at renewal.
Click the links above to learn more about each of these, and how they could impact your premium. Have questions about Sonnet Shift?
Sonnet Shift offers a monthly payment plan only. This is because your premium could change every three months at your quarterly Shift Adjustment. We think it’s more convenient for you to pay monthly (at no extra cost, of course) – especially if you end up paying less!
Heads up! We consider different factors based on the details provided in your quote when determining which payment plans are available to you. Some customers may not be eligible for a monthly payment plan. This means Sonnet Shift won’t be available to purchase as an insurance option.
Yes, unsafe driving behaviour could increase your premium up to 30%. Plus, poor driving isn’t only dangerous to yourself – it’s dangerous to other people. But there’s always room to grow!
Learn how your
Once you’ve taken your first trip, we’ll display your Projected Premium on the following Sunday. Just click on the Details tab at the top of the page to view it, along with your current premium. After that first trip, your Projected Premium will be updated every Sunday.
Heads up! This info is only available to the Primary Named Insured.
It depends. Your
If you have
We calculate your Driving Result based on your overall
To see how you’ve been doing behind the wheel week over week, you can view your Projected Driving Result for the upcoming Shift Adjustment in the Sonnet Insurance app. It’s based on your current score and updated weekly based on the last 90 days. It will help you see how you’ve been driving so you can keep getting better – and save money in the long run.
Need some tips on how to be a safer driver? Just check your score breakdown for advice that’ll help you improve your driving.
Heads up! The Driving Result discount or surcharge will be applied to all coverages on your policy except for
If you use an Android device, your phone settings must be set to allow the app to always run in the background for the Sonnet Shift app to work. Don’t worry, this will have minimal impact on your battery while you’re not in motion.
Heads up! There’s no need to set anything if you’re using an iOS device.
If you get a new smartphone, you’ll need to re-download the app onto your new device, log in with your credentials, and go through the
To remain enrolled in Sonnet Shift, we have to be able to track your trips! If your smartphone is damaged or unusable, it’s important to get it fixed or get a new one as soon as possible if you need to.
If you have any questions about the Sonnet Shift program, or any technical questions about the app, we can help.
You might be able to find the answer to your question in our
You’ll need to allow access to a few things on your phone so the Sonnet Insurance app can track your trips. But don’t worry, it’s easy to set up these permissions when you’re setting up your account. We’ll prompt you the whole way through the setup process!
If you’re an iOS user:
- Location Services must be set to Always Allow with Precise Location turned on. You must also Always Allow the app the use your location in the background, even when you are not using the app. To check your settings, go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Location Services.
- Motion & Fitness must be set to ON. To check your settings, go to Settings > Privacy & Security > Motion & Fitness
If you’re an Android user:
- Location Services must be set to Allow all the time with Use precise location turned on. To check your settings, go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Sonnet Insurance > Permissions > Location.
- Physical Activity must be set to ON. To check your settings, go to Settings > Apps & notifications > Sonnet Insurance > Permissions > Physical Activity.
- App Power Management or Battery Optimization must be set to Allow app to run in the background. To check your settings, go to Settings > Device Care > Battery > App Power Management (or Battery Optimization).
You’ll need to leave these permissions on when participating in the Sonnet Shift program.
Need help downloading and setting up the Sonnet Insurance app?
What is a trip?
With Sonnet Shift, every time you drive over 800m from point A to point B you take what we call a “trip”! Once you’ve downloaded and set up the Sonnet Insurance app, it will start tracking and collecting data during each trip you take –
When a trip is over, we’ll use that trip’s data to calculate a
Viewing your trips in the Sonnet Insurance app
We’re not the only ones who have access to your trip data – you do, too! The Sonnet Insurance app lets you view the precise details of individual trips, including a map of your route and a breakdown of how safely you drove on your trips. This means that each trip is a new opportunity to learn how you can improve your driving habits – and save even more on your car insurance.
Here's how to see your trips:
- Click on the Sonnet Shift section in the app.
- Select the Trips tab.
- Once the Trips tab is open, all the trips you’ve taken within the last 90 days will appear, along with the Driving Score for each trip where you were the driver.
- Click any trip’s score to display the map of your trip as well as the Driving Score breakdown for things like Smooth Driving and Speed.
Here’s what each colour means in your breakdown:
Green score: You’re doing great! We’ll let you know what you’re doing right, and how you can go the extra mile to keep up the good work.
Yellow score: You could be doing better, and we want to help. Read our suggestions to improve your driving so you can earn a discount.
Red score: If you’re in the red, improvement is needed (and you could see a surcharge on your premium!). Follow the tips to get back up to green.
Heads up! Trips taken where you weren’t the driver will appear “greyed out”. You can see when the other driver took the trip and how long it was, but you can’t view their maps or score breakdowns. You’re only able to expand and view the details and score breakdown for your own trips.
As an extra layer of security, we use two-step verification every time you log into the Sonnet Insurance app on your smartphone. Here’s how it works (yes, in just two steps!):
- After you enter your email and password to log in to the Sonnet Insurance app, we’ll send a one-time six-digit security key via text or phone call (depending on the preference you selected) to the phone number associated with your Sonnet account.
- Once you have the key, enter it in the field provided. That’s it! You’re logged in and ready to use the app.
- If you didn’t receive a text message, make sure the phone number you use for your Sonnet account is the one associated with your smartphone.
- Entered the wrong security key? Just click Resend to request a new security key.
- If you’ve entered the incorrect security too many times, the app will lock you out – but don’t worry, it’s only temporary! Wait 10 minutes and try again.
Still need help with two-step verification?
No! The data we collect will not be used to cancel your policy, or to refuse to renew your policy.
No. The great thing about the Sonnet Insurance app is that it tracks your trips automatically!
But, you do need to
Here’s how to do it:
After each trip, open the Sonnet Insurance app. You should see a notification that you have trips to review. Tap this notification, or go to the Trips tab. For each trip, it will prompt you to select if you were the driver or passenger. We’ll give you 72 hours to confirm if you were the driver or a passenger before we automatically assume it was you. So, if you hopped into a taxi or are riding as a passenger on the family road trip, you can let us know so that those trips won’t count towards your overall Driving Score. Once a trip has been confirmed you can’t change it.
You can only be logged into your Sonnet Insurance app using your account on one device at a time. The phone that was used for your most recent login will become your active device for the Sonnet Shift program.
For the Sonnet Insurance app to work and for Sonnet Shift to be able to track and record your trips, your smartphone needs to be turned on. The battery percentage also needs to be above the threshold you’ve set in the app (
If you lost cellular data or Wi-Fi connection or don’t have data usage turned on, it can take a few hours for a trip to appear in the Sonnet Shift app after you’ve reconnected.
If you’re still not seeing your trip, here are a few reasons it may not have recorded:
- Your trip was less than 800m
smartphone was turned offor low on battery life
location permissionsare disabled
- The Sonnet Shift app is experiencing technical difficulties
Keep in mind that some issues are beyond your control, like loss of GPS or poor mobile connection and could also impact trip recordings.
If you’re having issues with the app, please don’t hesitate to
If someone else is using your phone while you’re driving, it will count towards your
Don’t worry, your app is working properly! You have to actually start driving before it can establish the starting point of your trip. The app has to track around 300 to 500 metres of driving to detect movement and your location!
If you have your smartphone with you, your trips will be tracked globally, as long as it’s turned on and your
Plan to keep your
Find out more about
Don’t panic! If you accidentally deleted the Sonnet Insurance app, you can re-download it right from the app store available on your phone. Your data won’t change and you won’t have to start all over again, or even call us.
Here’s what to do:
- Open the app store on your smartphone. The app store you use will depend on if you use iOS or Android).
- Search ‘Sonnet Insurance’ and it should appear.
- Download the app.
- Log in using the email address associated with the account, and the same password you created when you set up Sonnet Shift.
Heads up! Be sure to
allow the necessary permissions– otherwise, the app won’t be able to track your trips.
- That’s it – the app will pick up right where you left off!
If you’ve changed your email address or phone number, you can update them by
We need to have your correct information on file to make sure your app is tracking properly, so please make any updates as soon as possible.
No. Trips and Driving Scores are private for each driver enrolled. However, as a Primary Named Insured, you can see the Driving Results, Mileage Contribution and Mileage Discount of all drivers who are enrolled in Sonnet Shift.
You can access your recorded trip details for the last 90 days through the Trips tab in the Sonnet Insurance app.
- Log into your account in the app.
- From the Shift screen, click on the Trips tab at the top of the page.
- View your trip history. If you see a “Heads up!” asking you to confirm that it was you who took the trip, please do so.
- Click on a trip to see your Score Breakdown and to review your route – you can even see where you might have made a move that affected your score!
For Sonnet Shift to do its job, we do share some of your data with our service providers. But don’t worry, we’ll only use and disclose your information according to our
Keeping your info safe is important to us. It’s our priority to ensure it’s always kept confidential and secure, and we have strict safeguards in place to protect it. Plus, we’ll always ask for your consent before we collect, use or disclose your personal information.
In accordance with our
Want to learn more about how we protect your information? Check out our
We share your driving behaviour and trip details with Definity Insurance Company. Sonnet Insurance and Definity Insurance Company are both owned by Definity Financial Corporation.
We also share this info with our service providers when required. This way, we can provide you with the very best technology, systems, and services necessary to run the Sonnet Shift program.
Keeping your info safe is important to us. And we know it’s important to you. Want to know more about the data we collect?
The Sonnet Insurance app collects certain details during every trip you take. This allows Sonnet Shift to do its job. The data we collect lets us measure your driving behaviour so we can get your Driving Result. Your Driving Result is a discount or surcharge applied quarterly (every three months from your policy start date) to your car insurance premium.
The data we collect during each trip may include, but is not limited to:
- Global positioning system (GPS) time and location data
- Accelerometer data, gyroscope data
- Location services on/off data
- Screen on/off data
- Magnetometer data, and other smartphone or instrumentation data
- Mobile device ID
- Phone call start and end time
- Battery level and charging status
- Technical information about your mobile device’s hardware or software. This could include your mobile device’s make and model, operating system version, and software version. It could also include other technical information relating to your mobile device.
We may also use specific personal information such as your name, address, phone number and email address. This info would be used for authentication purposes.
Usage-based insurance is new to a lot of drivers, and we want to support you every way we can if you have questions. The data we collect helps us do this. It also helps you help yourself! You’ve got access to some of your driving data, too, in the form of your Driving Score in the app. You can actually view the precise details of your trips – including things like a map of your routes and how well you drove on your trips (yes, it even shows where and when you might have braked a little too hard!). This means that each trip is a new opportunity to learn how to better your driving habits – and save even more on your car insurance.
The app uses roughly 2.4 MB per hour of driving to track your data for the Sonnet Shift program. This isn’t a set number, though – it can vary based on app usage.
Worried about data usage? You have the option to turn data usage off in your app settings.
- Click on the More tab in the bottom right-hand corner of the app.
- Under Settings, tap the toggle for Cellular Data on or off.
No. You don't need a mobile data plan, but you do need to at least have regular access to Wi-Fi! Your driving data will still be tracked if you don’t have a data plan, since it’s collected using your phone's sensors and GPS. Your trip information will be uploaded once you connect to a Wi-Fi network, whether it’s at home, work, in your vehicle, or another place with Wi-Fi.
If you do have a data plan,
- Click on the More tab in the bottom right-hand corner of the app.
- Under Settings, tap the toggle for Cellular Data on or off.
Heads up! The Sonnet Insurance app is free to download. However, standard wireless carrier data rates may apply.
Yes, trips will stop recording when your phone battery goes below a set threshold. To help manage your battery life, you can choose your preferred battery threshold.
Here’s how to set your threshold in two easy steps:
- Click on the More tab in the bottom right-hand corner of the app.
- Click on Battery, and then select a threshold of 10%, 15%, or 20% (10% will be selected by default). If your battery goes lower than the set threshold, your trips won’t be recorded until your battery charges above the threshold.
Heads up! To remain enrolled in the Sonnet Shift program, you must track your trips. Charge your battery as soon as you can if you’ve hit the low battery threshold. We’ll notify you in your Trips tab if a trip hasn’t been recorded due to low battery.
If you’re worried about the app using up all your battery power to track your trips for Sonnet Shift, you don’t have to! While a trip is in progress, the Sonnet Insurance app will use about as much battery power as other navigational apps – like those mapping apps you use to get from point A to point B. And when you’re not in motion or taking a trip, the app’s battery usage is negligible.
Heads up! Are you an Android user? If so, your settings must be set to Allow the app to always run in the background for the Sonnet Shift app to work. Don’t worry, this will have minimal impact to your battery while you’re not in motion.
No, each driver enrolled in the program has to install the app on their own smartphone. We assign a unique login and identification number to each driver. This allows the app to track each driver’s behaviour and mileage. If you share an app or a login, we won’t know who’s driving.
The app is currently offered in English and French only. The primary language of the app depends on your phone’s language settings.
If you want to remain enrolled in Sonnet Shift, the short answer is no. To participate in and be eligible for the Sonnet Shift program, the app must be installed, with the
If you’re removed from the program, you’ll lose any Sonnet Shift discounts you’ve worked so hard for! And if you’re driving well, you probably don’t want that to happen since you’re likely saving money. Need to clear up space on your phone? Consider deleting another app that you don’t use very much.
No, much like other apps your phone needs to be on for the Sonnet Insurance app to function.
If you’re an iOS user, the Sonnet Shift program needs access to your smartphone’s Motion and Fitness data. If you’re an Android user, it needs access to your Physical Activity data. Both of these
If you’re not sure how to allow access, don’t worry – we’ll walk you through every step of the way when you
Heads up! Make sure you
Sharing your location on your smartphone allows Sonnet Shift to do its job. It automatically detects where and when you’re driving and collects information that helps score your driving behaviour – things like your speed and where you started and ended your trip. Your location settings must be set to Always Allow with Precise Location turned on for the app to work. Don’t worry, your information is never shared.
Need help downloading and setting up the Sonnet Insurance app?
No, you don’t need to turn on or even open the Sonnet Insurance app before each trip. The app runs in the background and automatically records each trip after it is initially installed and set up.
Learn more about
We know life gets busy! If you haven’t downloaded the Sonnet Shift app within five days of the enrollment effective date, we’ll send you a reminder email.
If after 15 days you haven’t activated the app, we’ll start the process to unenroll you from Sonnet Shift. Your premium will be adjusted, and we’ll send you updated documents. This means you’ll miss out on the enrollment discount (if applied) and possible future savings!
TIP! If you can’t find the welcome email in your inbox, be sure to check your junk or spam folder. Still can’t find it? The primary named insured can resend the welcome email to additional drivers. Simply log into your account, select the policy from your Dashboard and click View Policy. Then click on the Vehicles and Drivers tab, select a driver from the list and click Resend Invite.
If the Principal Driver or a Young Driver on an enrolled vehicle doesn’t activate the Sonnet Insurance app within 15 days, then the vehicle and all drivers assigned to that vehicle will also be unenrolled.
If a Secondary Driver is unenrolled from Sonnet Shift because they didn’t download the app, it won’t result in the automatic unenrollment of the vehicle and all other enrolled drivers. But, if not all secondary drivers complete enrollment, it means the policy is no longer eligible for the annual Mileage Discount.
The bottom line is, it’s important to get the app up and running right away. Downloading the app and logging in to your account only takes a few minutes. Need help?
After signing up for Sonnet Shift, you’ll have 15 days from the enrollment effective date to download the app and register with your activation instructions.
Need help downloading and setting up the Sonnet Insurance app?
Once you’ve signed up for Sonnet Shift on sonnet.ca, you’ll receive a welcome email with instructions on how to download and activate the app. Any additional drivers who have enrolled will also receive a welcome email and instructions, along with a link to create their own account.
Each driver enrolled in the Sonnet Shift program must complete the following:
- Make sure you’re opening the welcome email on your smartphone.
- Use the link provided in the email to open the app store (either iOS or Android) and download the app.
- Agree to the Sonnet Shift Terms and Conditions.
- Enable all
permissionsrequired for tracking purposes.
If you don’t
If you can’t find the welcome message email, check your junk mail (spam). If you still can’t find it, please
To sign up for Sonnet Shift, you must have a compatible iPhone or Android smartphone with the latest operating system (OS), or at least have the three prior OS versions installed. The Sonnet Insurance app is what we use to record your driving habits so it’s best to keep your smartphone up to date with the most recent versions of the OS available to you.
Remember, never use your smartphone while you’re driving! It’s dangerous, and it counts as
After you’ve taken your first trip, we’ll display your current
You can also view your Projected Mileage and Project
Once you opt out of the program, we’ll send you an email with instructions on how to stop tracking. Please follow the steps provided to stop tracking your trips.
Sonnet customers who opt out of Sonnet Shift but remain a customer can keep the app, but you’ll lose access to your trip data. Just re-open the app after the effective date of the un-enrollment so that the app updates to stop tracking.
If you are no longer a Sonnet customer, you should uninstall the app to stop tracking.
If you’re unsure of how to opt out of Sonnet Shift, you can always speak to an expert. Just
The police can’t access your info without proper legal authorization or your consent. We will never disclose your personal information to law enforcement agencies, unless permitted or required by law.
Have more questions about Sonnet Shift and how it works? Visit our
The app can only detect if the driver is using the phone while driving and will track the start and end time of phone calls (hands-free or not). This is shown as an “event” on the trip map and would count as
You shouldn’t be using your smartphone while driving – period. Any use of your smartphone while driving qualifies as a distracted driving incident, and it reduces your
Examples of smartphone distraction:
- Taking a phone call (with or without using hands-free mode) while driving
- Selecting music on your smartphone while driving
- Texting while driving
Taking photos while driving
Examples that don’t count as smartphone distraction:
- Ordering or paying with your smartphone at a drive-through when stopped
- Stopping on the side of the road to make a call or text someone
Tip: Put your phone on silent so you’re not tempted to use it while you’re on the road.